Thursday, January 22, 2009

Works of art I know - Shapes (week 3)

Romare Bearden, American

My First Impressions:
When I first saw this painting, I thought that it made a peaceful setting, such as the woods, busy and full of life. Even though there are only a few animals in the scene, it makes everything else come alive, too, such as the snow and the trees. The artist does this by combining shapes and using them to make everything pop. They also make the whole thing busy and confusing, and you can look at it for a really long time, and keep discovering new things about it.

What I learned:
This was created in 1985, and it's called Winter (Time of The Hawk). I also discovered that winter was not one of Bearden's usual settings. He usually created tropical scenes, with a lot of vibrant colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment