Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Works of Art I know















Edward Hopper, American

My First Impressions:
When I first saw this painting, the story that I immediately thought of was a lonely young girl, probably in her twenties, sitting by herself in a cafe. It made me think about why she was lonely, and if she had been left by her husband, or if her parents had died, or if maybe she misses a friend. It could be any number of things, but the most important part is that the painting makes you think about why shes alone. Hopper used the big, black space behind her to make her look smaller and a little bit helpless. She almost blends into the colors in the background, the greens of the wall and the yellow of the chair and the heater match those of her coat and hat.

What I've Learned:
It was painted by Hopper in 1927, on a medium canvas, about 3 feet long.
The painting is called Automat and it's on display at the MFA in Boston.
It was featured on the cover of TIME magazine in 1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment